Thursday, September 13, 2018

Turning Life Upside Down

Elise Tollefsen is an actor studying in the two-year acting program at Maggie Flanigan Studio. During this interview, Elise talks about starting at the studio with the Meisner Intensive and what the first year of the two year Meisner acting program has been like.

Elise Tollefsen Interview - Acting Programs New York NY - Maggie Flanigan Studio

Q: Elise, before you started the first year, even after doing the Meisner Intensive, what did you think it meant to train as an actor?

A: That is a great question. I don't think that I realized just how important the other classes were to creating an actor that can portray more emotion than just a person that's studying acting alone. The acting classes are obviously where the magic happens, but I would have never done what I did this year without voice and speech movement. Even theater history, and knowing where everything is coming from, and learning why we're doing certain things and how we're doing certain things.

Q: Now that you've finished the first year, what do you think it means to train as an actor now?

A: It means you're going to have a lot of rough times that will pay off in the end. It's probably the most fulfilling process, but it takes a lot more effort than I initially was expecting, both personally and within the studio itself and classes. Also, it does a lot of work on your own trying to figure out your habits and how you function as a human and how other people operate and considering that. It's like a 24/7 job.

Q: What surprised you the most over the course of this year? What did you learn about yourself that was the biggest revelation for you?

A: The most significant revelation is probably how your body affects how you can take in your surroundings and how you process emotions and all of that. It is crazy how once you break down the barriers, especially living in New York City, you put up a lot of obstacles, especially on the streets and talking with other humans; you have a shield whatever your shield may be. Breaking that down has made a huge difference in acting and being able to take things personally and being able to relate to different situations and circumstances.

Q: After doing a full year advisor work, what is the thing that resonates most with you?

A: The most important thing that I've learned about doing all of it, is probably not to care too much. I don't mean don't care about the work you're doing, care huge amounts about that, but don't go into a room caring about how it's going to happen and how it's going to work out because no one knows. If you go in there thinking that you're going to do this one specific thing in this one specific away and this thing is going to happen, I hope it happens. It's not going to happen most likely. The best things come out of just being able to let yourself go and do it.

Q: So trusting the process and not caring about the result?

A: Yes. Trusting your training, believing that you've been taught the things that you need to know, and trust that you're in a safe environment. If things happen a weird way, great. If nothing happens, great. You've learned a lot.

Q: How have the auxiliary classes helped you in the acting room? How have they helped you grow as an artist?

A: Each class has such a different effect on everybody. For me, each level has benefited me so much in so many different ways. I can't imagine being without the auxiliary classes I took. Theater history, I did not want to take. I hate theater history, or at least I should say, I used to hate theater history. Luckily, the teacher here at Elliot is one of the most amazing teachers. He makes anything exciting. You do get to learn how to, not only process what you're reading but also you learn how to speak like a professional, which I think is very helpful. Knowing how to break something down and portray it in a way that sounds like you know what you're talking about. You look like a professional that can do the work.

Voice and speech are huge mainly because I'm curious to see how it's changed on camera, but my voice is completely different now. A lot of the times, mainly because of the culture, especially women speak in the higher register because that's how we seem like friendly humans. I realized that my voice was never that high naturally. You learn how to be yourself and speak in a register that your voice wants to live in. Finding different ranges is enormous, especially when you're in a big scene in the acting class when you're yelling, it's-- Gosh, it would kill my voice if I tried to yell the way I used to. That is super helpful, especially when you do show after the show or take after take, that's going to be wildly famous.

Then, movement. Movement is one of the highest classes ever. It breaks down every single barrier you've ever created. You also get used to human contact, which is a scary thing, but when you're in a safe environment, you feel comfortable with it, and then you can bring that into the acting class, and you're much more open with everybody.

Q: What made you decide to turn your life upside down and make the choices to commit to training in this program?

A: It's made an enormous impact. I was on the same show for six and a half years before I left. That was my home, and I had been there for so long. When I started the summer intensive here, I was planning on moving to Los Angeles in the fall, and it was this thing. I was like, "It's fine. I'll find a school out there." After talking to so many people out there, they're like, "Please do not come here for school. Don't do it. Just don't do it," because you can't find this caliber out there.

I also realized that if I'm going to be a respected actor in the future and do great work, I can't just take an acting class and call it a day. You have to put in the work, and you have to put in the time and the effort. The money will happen if you want it to happen. I went from a Broadway show that's nice and cushy; eight shows a week - done. I can live comfortably in New York - to being a waitress. I have never been happier in my life. You have to decide what you really want and how to get there, you might have to make some sacrifices in the beginning.

Q: Why would you tell someone that Maggie Flanigan Studio is the best studio for actor training?

A: There are a couple of reasons. The big one, just the sheer size of the classes, is going to be smaller because it's not one of those cookie-cutter studios that everybody because they want to get money. This studio doesn't take crap from people. If you're not serious, then you're going to be gone because you can't handle it.

It's that, and it's also the most loving environment I've ever been in. You feel comfortable in it. Nobody's competing with each other. Every other studio that I've heard about - I've never been to them - everybody talks about how everybody's undermining everybody, and nobody feels comfortable, and it feels like everybody secretly wants everybody else to fail. This is the absolute complete opposite. I have never felt more supported by my classmates, even classmates I don't know that was in the second year when I was in the first year would always be around to help and talk. It's very, very
supportive.

Q: How has the community of students also helped throughout this first year?

A: The people that I have made friends with here, they're pretty much a family. When you are going through significant life changes, that's the biggest thing that you need in your life. I can't say enough good things about those people. They just made the process so much easier, and it's great knowing that other people are feeling the same thing as you. Everybody is going through something. It may be completely different, but everybody is very understanding of the fact that you are all changing and that's great.

Q: How was working with Charlie this first year?

A: It was great [laughs]. It was awful and great all at the same time. He is the hardest critic, but the most supportive human in the world all at the same time. He's a mentor and a role model for everybody here. He's very loving, very kind, but he also knows when to snap you back into action if you're slacking a little bit or he sees anything happening. It's a great environment. You know that you're safe and you know that your classmate supports you and he's just a great person to have around.

Q: How do you feel about starting the second year in two weeks?

A: I was ready the day after we finished the first year. I'm excited. I've no idea what's going to happen, which is slightly terrifying. I'm excited; it's going to be great. It's going to be magical.

The Meisner Intensive and Acting Programs at the Maggie Flanigan Studio

Learn more about the Meisner Intensive and the acting programs at the Maggie Flanigan Studio on the acting programs page on the studio website ( http://www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/ ), or by calling the studio during business hours at (917) 789-1599 with specific questions.


Acting Programs New York NY

The above blog post Turning Life Upside Down is available on Meisner Technique NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment